The Best Cybersecurity Reading List
For most of us, the holidays offer a few extra days off from busy work days or packed school schedules. That means more time to spend with friends and family and a few extra hours to snuggle up with a good book, magazine, or blog. If you (or that picky person on your shopping list) is interested in cybersecurity, check out our “best of” reading list below!
Whether you’re a beginner just jumping into cybersecurity, or a seasoned professional looking for a cutting edge story, there’s something here for you!
- Social Engineering: The Science of Human Hacking by Christopher Hadnagy. Even the biggest businesses still depend on humans, which means they can still fall victim to human error. Focusing on social engineering, this book looks into the science of human vulnerability, using a non-technical approach to help employees and owners protect themselves and their businesses.
- The Cuckoo’s Egg by Cliff Stoll. In this first-hand account that reads like a novel, Stoll describes his realization that an unauthorized user was stealing sensitive military information from the Lawrence Berkeley Lab, his quest to figure out the culprit at all costs, and how that unceasing devotion to cybersecurity eventually uncovered an international spy ring.
- The Cyber Effect by Mary Aiken. Want to learn more about the psychology behind the technology? Pick up this easy exploration into how cyberspace is changing the way we think, feel, and act. Aiken, a forensic cyber psychologist, has used her real-life experience working with law enforcement agencies worldwide to help us understand the benefits, dangers, and effects of our constant use of technology.
- Security Weekly: CyberRisk Alliance was created to help the cybersecurity community work together to thwart the challenges and obstacles that professionals face in cybersecurity worldwide. Their blog, Security Weekly, provides information, intelligence, and strategies to help organizations become safer and more efficient.
- Dark Reading: Part of the InformationWeek network, Dark Reading is a network of tech security blogs that uses polls, newsletters, discussion boards, and more to keep you up to date on the newest cybersecurity trends and threats.
- Threatpost: Trusted by IT professionals around the globe, ThreatPost features cybersecurity news, as well as a wide range of videos, podcasts, ebooks, webinars, and more.
- United States Cybersecurity Magazine. Based in Baltimore, US Cybersecurity Magazine aims to raise awareness around cybersecurity, cyber crime, and the industries that have grown around both of them. Aimed at both industry professionals and the general public, they focus on laws and policies, infrastructural changes, and cyber justice.
- Threat.Technology. For anyone who has an interest in safe internet, Threat.Technology will keep you updated with the latest happenings in information security. They’ll provide the “who’s who” of security leaders, the threats they’re facing, and the methods they’re using to keep us all safe online.
- CISO Mag. Providing in-depth and unbiased technical information to cybersecurity professionals, CISO Mag features news, comprehensive analysis, and interviews with security leaders to keep you updated on the latest in cybersecurity.
PEOPLE TO FOLLOW
- Tina Williams-Koroma. A prolific cybersecurity expert based in Maryland, Tina has won awards for her innovation and technical expertise. She’s founded several cybersecurity initiatives and is constantly engaged with the latest in the cybersecurity community. Learn more: https://www.linkedin.com/in/tcwk/
- Daniel Miessler. A respected cybersecurity professional, Daniel studies the merger of security, society, and technology. His personable writing style makes his wide range of interests easy to digest as he covers topics like infosec, philosophy, and technology. You can check out his website at https://danielmiessler.com/.
- Brian Krebs. A former journalist for the Washington Post, Krebs focuses on cyber crime. Follow him for more information on security updates, criminal investigations, data breaches and cyber justice. https://krebsonsecurity.com/
- Dr. Mansur Hasib. A Maryland native and 2020 recipient of the Maryland Cybersecurity People’s Choice award, Hasib is an educational leader and author who focuses on ethics, culture, and leadership within the cybersecurity community.
Do you have any suggested reads? What sites or authors have you found valuable? Comment below, share this post, or download the PDF Reading List below!